AND NATUROPATHIC MEDICINE
The most powerful step you can take towards your health is the prevention of disease. Don’t wait for illness to come to you- prevent it before it happens.
Preventative medicine is the practice of establishing the highest state of positive health possible to prevent the occurrence of disease. In the world of healthcare this is where you, the patient, has the most control in your well-being and longevity.
Investing in preventative care could be one of the most important steps that you take in improving your overall health and well-being. The staff of the Phoenix Men’s Health Center will assist you in developing a personalized plan to prevent disease and improve your quality of life.
INTEGRATIVE NATUROPATHIC MEDICINE
Naturopathic doctors (NDs) are primary care physicians clinically trained in natural therapeutics and whose philosophy is derived in part from a Hippocratic teaching more than 2000 years old: Vis mediatrix naturae – nature is the healer of all diseases. Their practice is based on the same basic bio-medical science foundation as western (allopathic) practices, however a naturopath’s philosophies and approaches differ considerably from their conventional counterparts.
Naturopathic doctors diagnose disease and treat patients by using natural modalities such as clinical nutrition, herbal medicine, homeopathy, counseling, acupuncture, and hydrotherapy, among others. They choose treatment based on the individual patient, not based on the generality of symptoms. This approach has proven successful in treating both chronic and acute conditions.
1. First Do No Harm – primum non nocere- Naturopathic medicine uses therapies that are safe and effective.
2. The Healing Power of Nature – vis medicatrix naturae- The human body possesses the inherent ability to restore health. The physician’s role is to facilitate this process with the aid of natural, nontoxic therapies.
3. Discover and Treat the Cause, Not Just the Effect – tolle causam- Physicians seek and treat the underlying cause of a disease. Symptoms are viewed as expressions of the body’s natural attempt to heal. The origin of disease is removed or treated so the patient can recover.
4. Treat the Whole Person – tolle totum- The multiple factors in health and disease are considered while treating the whole person. Physicians provide flexible treatment programs to meet individual health care needs.
5. The Physician is a Teacher – docere- The physician’s major role is to educate, empower, and motivate patients to take responsibility for their own health. Creating a healthy, cooperative relationship with the patient has a strong therapeutic value.
6. Prevention is the best “cure” – praevenire- Naturopathic physicians are specialists in preventive medicine. Physicians assess patient risk factors and heredity susceptibility and intervene appropriately to reduce risk and prevent illness. Prevention of disease is best accomplished through education and a lifestyle that supports health.
Source: Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine