Thank you Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine for inviting me to speak to your students.
It is an honor to be asked to speak in front of my peers about the profession of integrative medicine. Where are we now in the business of health care and where would we like to see ourselves in the business of health care as integrative medical specialist?
Every doctor at some time is asked, why did you get involved in the world of medicine?
As a medical student, new doctor, established physician, ND, NMD, Chiropractor, or Acupuncturist we chose to become a part of the medical world to help people. Bottom line.
But, there are other bottom lines. Finances.
In able to practice and do what we love to do we need to have a business structure framework in which to work our practice of treating patients. We could be employees of a clinic or hospital, we can have a small single practice or we could be the owner of a larger medical facility with multiple employees.
No matter where we choose to be an income needs to be a part of the equation.
The goal of todays lecture is to help guide medical students and new doctors as to where they may start to look to find their place of comfort between the two worlds of business and medicine.
The resources below are organizations, contact, books, and resources that I have found helpful. Please feel free to explore them and may you find your place of greatest success doing what you love.
Small Business Growth Mentoring Programs
AAAME-APS Academy for the Advancement of Small, Minority- and Women-Owned Enterprises (AAAME)
Seed Spot- Our mission is to increase the odds of success for passionate social entrepreneurs who are committed to solving important societal problems. http://seedspot.org/programs/
SCORE. Greater Phoenix SCORE is a nonprofit association dedicated to educating entrepreneurs and helping small businesses start, grow, and succeed. http://wwww.scorephoenix.org
Personal Contacts, Business Coaches:
Rena AJ Huber. Business coach and founder of, Thrive at 55. http://thriveat55.com
Sandy Kolberg, Ph.D. Professional Business Coach. http://gicoaches.com/bio/sandy/
Gazelles small business contact: Jean Carpenter at 360-798-9471 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org
- E-Myth Revisited, Why most small business don’t work and what to do about it. Michael E. Gerber. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_6?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=e-myth&sprefix=E-Myth%2Caps%2C266
- Design Your Best Year Ever. A Proven Formula for Achieving Big Goals. By Darren Hardy. http://www.amazon.com/Design-Proven-Formula-Achieving-Goals/dp/0981951201/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393988447&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=Designe+your+best+year+ever
- Mastering the Rockerfeller Habits. by Verne Harnis. http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Rockefeller-Habits-Increase-Growing/dp/0978774949/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1402972531&sr=1-1&keywords=mastering+the+rockefeller+habits
- Great by Choice. By Collins and Hansen. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_15?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=great+by+choice+by+jim+collins&sprefix=great+by+choice%2Cstripbooks%2C275
- EntreLeadership. by Dave Ramsey. http://www.amazon.com/EntreLeadership-Practical-Business-Wisdom-Trenches/dp/1451617852/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1402972668&sr=1-1&keywords=entreleadership
Site to help with business plan development and strategy.
Networking Groups in Phoenix with Calendar of events.